Tuesday, August 21, 2012

16th Post: A Blessed Son

     I was facebook earlier today, and I saw a FB post from one of my FB friends.  She wrote:
     "Ok its done! I successfully moved my son into his dorm room along with the littles and didnt shed a tear. I have single-handedly raised a black male child into a young black man. I kept him on a righteous path. I am proud of my contribution...to the world and have done my job proudly with no regret. He is my pride and joy and I am so anxious for his future. Funny, as much as I miss him I think he misses me as much. He just called me to let me know he was going to his 1st college party and wanted to speak to me b 4 he forgot. LOL he's on his own now and he still feels a need to check in...ok I did cry after that...:)"
    How good is that? This young man called his mother before he did anything else.  I was thinking to myself, "What a good son he is."  And with that, I felt a connection. 
    I don't remember ever calling my parents before I did anything at school.  However, being of an older body and a wiser mind,  I do make an effort to see them, or talk to them on the phone.  It's because they are older, and the way the world works sometimes, you never know when they are going to "leave for good."  So it is always good to spend time and tell them how much you love them while they are still here.
    This young man has the right idea.  His mother did raise him right.  I believe that he didn't "check in" because he had to.  He's "grown," as they say.  I believe this as well: He called his mom because he is a blessed son. He knows he has been given a wonderful mother. He is very appreciative of what his mother has done for him, and will never forget it. That was the impression I got from it.
     And I told her so too. I wrote: "He was definitely raised right. Any young man that calls his mom before he parties, is a blessed son. He loves you a lot." Her reply was, "I never looked at it like that! I dont remember calling my mom b 4 a party...lol thanks for the reminder my friend. U gonna make me cry again."
     I'm sure when he graduates and out in the real world with the rest of us, he will continue to be a "blessed son."

2 comments:

  1. OMG Who would ever imagined that I would be the inspiration for a blog let alone provoke a deep thought to cause such wonderful words. Thank you Tall Tom...more than u know.

    ReplyDelete